Thursday, April 28, 2016

Counted Worthy by Leah E. Good

From Amazon
Heather Stone lives in fear of repeating the past, yet she continues doing the one thing that could trigger another disaster. When the police trace an illegal Bible to her house, Heather’s world begins to crumble. Her father’s life hangs in the balance. No one with the power to help knows or cares. If she tries to save him, she could lead her friends to their deaths. If she does nothing, her father’s fate is certain. Can she evade a hostile police force and win public sympathy before it’s too late?
I loved this book. I enjoyed how it was written with modern day aspects to it, but yet with a focus on the persecution of Christians that has spanned all of time. The brother-sister relationship between Heather and Bryce was also a delight to read. I love how they stuck with one another through easy and hard times and always sought to protect one another. And even in the toughest of moments they found things to laugh at and encouragement one another in.

The technology was another aspect that was interesting. It made me stop and imagine what life would be like in the next several generations, and I liked reading that part because I enjoy technology.

I haven't read many books written in the first point of view, but I loved this one. Reading about a character from that perspective draws you closer to them and enable you to learn their inside thoughts and feelings. I enjoyed getting to live Heather's life with her from this point of view.

The emotions and details and solid Biblical worldview was a refreshing blessing. An encouraging and inspiring book for believers. I would highly recommend it to others. Well done, Leah!

Favorite Quotes


I clenched the Bible until my hands ached. These pages held the words of life, but how many would have to die to preserve them?
//
“You okay?” Bryce tipped his head back to look at me. 
“I don’t have time not to be.” Another one of those neutral answers that masked the true feelings of my heart. Voicing those feelings would venture onto dangerous ground. If I didn’t talk about them for long enough, they would grow numb and I could ignore them. It had worked in the past.
//
She lifted her head and made eye contact. “Heather, according to the government records, your father does not exist.”
//
I swished my juice, watching it swirl against the edges of the glass. 
“You’re supposed to drink that, you know.” 
I glanced up and smirked at Bryce. “I know.” 
“Thought maybe you forgot. You’re looking at it like it’s some new art form or something.” 
“It’s going to be a new art form on your shirt if you don’t watch it.”
//
“Tell me,” I said, “if what I’m saying doesn’t make you a little bit nervous and curious, why are you standing here arguing with a prisoner?”
//
“I cannot and will not recant anything,” I quoted, my voice steady though tears continued flooding down my face. “Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Share your thoughts here!